I made the pages of the album using both the rectangle classic and scallop Nestabilities dies. Just a note here about the front and back cover. I wanted them to be very sturdy, so I layered a Very Vanilla scalloped rectangle on top, thin chipboard in the middle, then another Vanilla scalloped rectangle on the bottom. The dies won't cut through thick chipboard, so I used a thin chipboard and essentially covered it with the other two Vanilla layers.
On the Kraft layer for the cover, I added some subtle shading. After embossing the rectangle, I kept the die in place (acting as a stencil), and used a stiff brush to stipple some Dark Chocolate ink around the edges. I embellished the cover by layering two pieces of ribbon together and tying a knot around the Kraft layer before adhering. I stamped the first two words of the title, "Grateful for" on the cover. I then made a medallion with the acorn stamp. I stamped the last word of the title, "family" right onto the acorn. The detail on the acorn top was highlighted with my Stardust pen and two bronze brads were added for a little more detail. I adhered the medallion just slightly off the cover.
Now for the inside! To give this album even more of a Fall theme, I used photos from last year's trip to the pumpkin patch. Since this was a project for the contest, I wanted to utilize the stamps as much as possible. I researched quotes online that contained words from the First Fruits set (grateful, gratitude, plentiful, harvest, thankful, etc.). I typed the quotes using Microsoft Word, omitting the words that I would stamp from the set. I printed them out onto Very Vanilla cardstock and embellished the pages with more stamps, giving each page a little more of a autumn touch. The inside then looked like this, alternating photo with quote:
The rectangle classic Nestabilities die was used to cut out the photos and the quotes. To do that, I simply re sized the photos on my computer to just slightly larger than the die. That way, I wouldn't accidentally crop anything out. I used a little Scotch tape to keep the die in place as I ran it through my Cuttlebug. And the same idea was used with the quotes. I sized the text box in Microsoft Word to be just slightly larger than the die. I centered the text to make sure it would all be contained inside the box and not cropped out when cut.
To finish it off, I used my Crop-a-Dile to punch a hole in the upper left hand corner of each page and added the bronze eyelet to the front and back cover (always looks more finished that way). I used a binder ring to hold it all together. I'm very happy about the way this turned out and I think I'll give this one to my Mom and make another one for me! Then there's my Mother-in-Law, my sister, and...
P.S. There's still time to enter to win my blog candy! Leave a comment on this post. Also, make sure to check back tomorrow when I'll have the second Guest Star Stamper project posted. It's delightfully creepy...
Stamps: First Fruits by PTI
Ink: Dark Chocolate by PTI, Dune, Canary and Bronze pigment by ColorBox, Creamy Caramel, Cranberry Crisp and Old Olive by SU!
Cardstock: Kraft by PTI, Very Vanilla and Old Olive by SU!
Ribbon: Dark Chocolate satin by PTI, brown sheer (Michaels)
Tools: Crop-a-Dile, rectangle classic and scallop Nestabilities dies by Spellbinders, Cuttlebug by ProvoCraft, scallop and circle punches by SU!
Other: thin chipboard, bronze eyelet, bronze brads, foam mounting tape by 3M, Stardust pen by Sakura, binder ring